Monday 19 June 2017

There's a Starman waiting in the sky.....

or actually waiting on our record player.

Good morning world, hope you are all fab on this incredibly warm Monday morning. It's hot here in England, and we are just not really used to it.




Personally I'd like to siesta the day away, but first I really want to share with you all some photos of my David Bowie inspired Starman.




No automatic alt text available.
As you will know if you follow me I am lucky enough to be part of the Makers Medley, a group of wonderful ladies who are all incredibly talented doll makers. Each month we have a challenge where we make a doll on a certain brief, and this month's brief was 'Planets'. I have to say each month I am astonished by the variety and talent shown, and this month is no exception. Please do follow us on either Facebook or Instagram,if you like dolls, you wont regret it.


But a bit more about Ziggy, my Starman, I have always been, along with some many others, a huge Bowie fan, and grew up loving his music, so after the words..."I need a starman" .. formed in my mind when attempting to visualise something new and extraordinary for this challenge, I couldn't stop thinking Bowie.

 And so Ziggy was born.

I hand painted his suit, originally plain white Lycra, before sewing it together, made him some red boots and then bought a guitar all the way from China for him to hold.




His hair was a challenge, I wanted fine hair, not thick like wool. So using the same techniques as my Sally's hair (blog post in more detail here) I made him a wig and then after sewing it on I cut it into style.

As part of the challenge we cannot show work-in-progress photos, nothing before the big reveal, so sadly I forgot to take all the work-in-progress photos I usually do, so you will have to make do with finished ones, but I love the way he has turned out, and I hope you do too.




Image may contain: text'Well what's next?' I hear you shout. Let me tell you I am really excited to see what the girls come up with for the next challenge 'Children's Book Character', and I am already planning out my contribution.

I will endeavour to take some work in progress pictures too next time, but until the big reveal on the 16th July, all will be under wraps.

so bye for now.



Hugs and Kisses
Ally

No comments:

Post a Comment