Monday 15 September 2014

Still loving muffins for breakfast

Good Morning All

I'm only going to do a couple more of these re-visiting posts, mainly because I should be back to having a little more proper time for writing then, but also because people seem to have started revisiting post themselves to see what I was up to before they became regular readers, which is really nice. Thank you all for reading new posts and old post, it makes it all worthwhile. This particular post though was first posted on 4th October 13, and only had 10 reads then, which I think is particularly sad as I just love the photo at the end of my egg slide, also showing the range, bread dough rising, muffins and our lovely blue counter. You can't get much more domestic than that, so here is 'Muffins for Breakfast' again...

once again, hello, still tuning in, that's nice.

ok so inspiration for todays recipe, well I looked in the fridge and found an almost overripe avocado and some left over halloumi, so I decided to test out this wonderful internetty thing and typed avocado, halloumi and recipe into Google images.  This is what I got back :

Well I was quite impressed by this as I thought it was an unusual combination, but there were a lot of very tasty looking pictures, but I didn't want a salad, or open top sandwich affair, I wanted something that could be made now but eaten later, when everyone was around.  On scrolling downwards I came upon a muffin recipe though and decided that would do nicely,
Avocada, Bacon and Halloumi Muffins no less. Sadly when I checked the fridge there was no bacon in sight, but there was a little ham looking a little sad in the bottom of it's packet, so you can guess what happened there can't you.

The recipe was from Rock Salt:  http://thisisrocksalt.com/2012/07/02/avocado-bacon-and-halloumi-muffins/.  I spent a little time wandering through the blog and have to say found them most entertaining, have a look it you have time.
This image is from their blog; muffins, looking most tasty.




Does anyone know the difference between corn meal and polenta, as I thought I had polenta in the cupboard but when I looked it turned out to be cornmeal, so that worked alright for this recipe. Having just had a quick 'google' on the subject, it seems the difference lies in the fineness of the grinding, so I could have used either.
The muffins worked out ok, not overly special but ok.




Other things going on today, I'm doing a loaf called Pan Gallego from The Practical Encyclopedia of Baking, a rather large tomb of a book written by one Martha Day.  Kneaded in the machine, so I cheated, it will still tastes the same. The picture below shows the second rise of this one not long before baking.


And since the muffins are out anyway, a batch of cupcakes. Dr J. does like a cupcake. Actually no cupcakes, just looked over to the egg slide and there is only 1 left and since it raining today, I don't fancy a trip to the shop just for eggs, so cupcakes are on hold for another day. While I'm at it though don't you like the slide? A vintage find down in Cornwall last year, and I love it. Do you keep your eggs in or out of the fridge? I must admit to liking having them at baking temperature (ie room temperature) when I fancy cooking and not having to get them out in advance, You see the bit of a problem there, not really keen on anything in advance, spur of the moment kinda girl, if I want to bake I want to bake now.

Well I guess that kinda wraps up Food Friday for another week.

Monday will bring bullet bra progress and some snippets of what I'm doing with plaid, lovely stuff.

have a lovely weekend all
ally x

No comments:

Post a Comment